Friday, August 12, 2011

Changing Face of "Spam" Email

As a network engineer involved in bringing up some of the first Internet connections in the upper midwest in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I also managed email systems in the 1990s as spam email started becoming a nuisance. In the past decade, spam has been more than a nuisance - email systems must have effective spam filters to keep email usable for end users.

There is an interesting trend I see now - I am getting a fair bit of relevant business-related marketing email in my inbox. The amount of "online pharmacy" spam is way down, but I still get a fair amount of complete junk, including a lot of Cyrillic and Mandarin spam that is completely unintelligible to me. Fortunately, my company's spam filter, including up-to-date SpamAssassin rule lists and a good blacklist, are doing a good job discarding and classifying the useless spam, while allowing through the reasonable marketing queries (I think).

A few years back, the sales team at my employer emailed potential customers asking if they could setup meetings to introduce the company's software - not an unusual email message, especially nowadays. One particular recipient hit the roof and replied with a rant worthy of a response to the first massive Usenet spam from the green card lawyers back in the day.

Are people's attitudes changing about spam? Is there an increasing acceptance of reasonable marketing-type contact via email?

No comments:

Post a Comment